2 weeks down!
So I'm done with Benign Gyn and onto the outpatient clinic. I really only had 1 1/2 weeks of GYN because of 1-orientation, 2-lecture on Tuesday instead of Wednesday, and 3- July 4 off. It was a little rough getting used to the time switch, waking up at 5-6 to pre-round on patients and getting a lot of stuff done in the AM, with lots of free time in the PM. But, when I'd get home, I'd be so burnt out that it'd be hard to study; I'd just crash. The next 2 weeks in clinic should be good, the hours are a little better.
Being scrubbed in the OR was pretty cool. I don't do much except look and hold retractors or cut stitches or remove clamps, but hey, it's a start. On my last surgery, the chief resident let me put in one subcuticular stitch. Yay. But of course I was going so slow that after the first one she took over and closed really fast. I saw different kinds of hysterectomies, different things prolapsing out, hysteroscopies (taking a camera into the uterus), and a laparoscopic surgery (very neat!). My colleague on the service with me compared the hysteroscopy to video games, you just go in like a first person shooter, explore, and zap things that can be zapped (like fibroids). That was funny. The interns, residents, and attendings are all nice (so far). The interns are just as frazzled as the med students, they're just 2 years separated from us, hard to believe.
So, so far, 3rd year has gone off to a good start. I miss seeing all of my classmates though; lecture days are fun because we see everyone on the rotation, at least, and it's nice running into friends in the hospital. But this separation kinda sucks. I'm seeing Harry Potter with Jenn this afternoon and studying with her later, it'll be nice to catch up. I am itching to get my step I scores though....
Being scrubbed in the OR was pretty cool. I don't do much except look and hold retractors or cut stitches or remove clamps, but hey, it's a start. On my last surgery, the chief resident let me put in one subcuticular stitch. Yay. But of course I was going so slow that after the first one she took over and closed really fast. I saw different kinds of hysterectomies, different things prolapsing out, hysteroscopies (taking a camera into the uterus), and a laparoscopic surgery (very neat!). My colleague on the service with me compared the hysteroscopy to video games, you just go in like a first person shooter, explore, and zap things that can be zapped (like fibroids). That was funny. The interns, residents, and attendings are all nice (so far). The interns are just as frazzled as the med students, they're just 2 years separated from us, hard to believe.
So, so far, 3rd year has gone off to a good start. I miss seeing all of my classmates though; lecture days are fun because we see everyone on the rotation, at least, and it's nice running into friends in the hospital. But this separation kinda sucks. I'm seeing Harry Potter with Jenn this afternoon and studying with her later, it'll be nice to catch up. I am itching to get my step I scores though....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home