Nice Day for a White Wedding
The wedding was fun. Very classy. The location was beautiful. The food was great. It was nice to chat with David and Emily's friends. Did I mention that i was 1 of 3 asians there? I didn't really notice it until someone pointed it out. Me, one of the groomsmen, and his girlfriend.
Overall, it was a really good wedding. The ceremony was short, very non-tradidtional. One of Emily's friends was the presider. People gave a couple of short readings from poets or authors, sang, and played the oboe. It was pretty cool how Emily's family and friends stepped up to perform at the ceremony. They had a live band, which made things very classy, with strings, piano, and i think a drum. The ceremony and the reception took place in the same location, which was a beautiful room with huge columns, windows, stringed lights everywhere. They had set up a little stage with a trellis covered with tulle and lights for David and Emily. They incorporated aspects of David's Jewish rituals into the ceremony too, with a Cantor, wine blessing, and glass breaking. After the ceremony, we were ushered out to a side room as they rearranged the tables and chairs for the reception. It was nice not having a lot of down time in between the ceremony and the reception. Also, they took pictures before the wedding, which tradition advises against, but it just worked out better logistically. It's not like their marriage is doomed before it starts, right?
Fortunately, the seating was such that I was able to sit with Christian because the only people at the "head table" were David and Emily. The food was amazing. Wonderful hors d'ourvers, open bar, strawberries and champagne, pumpkin ravioli in a walnut cream sauce, sorbet, and prime rib, and chocolate cake. yum. I liked the live band idea. They didn't have a slide show, but a board up in the front with pictures, and even pictures of David's parents' wedding. They did the polaroid picture guestbook, but you had to put the pictures into the little picture corners; i think i liked how Emma did it for hers, with the double-sided tape (yea, wedding minutae). Hehe, and again, Christian got out of dancing (we didn't even dance ONCE!) because he was too busy chatting it up with other people. I chatted with David's friends while all that was going on. No cake fight. After things cleared out, we hung out at the hotel bar for a while before everyone crashed. Got 1 hour of sleep before heading to the airport.
The ingenious thing that i did was that i got my prime rib boxed; the hotel we were staying at was an extended stay hotel, so they had a freezer. So i froze my dinner when i got back, and allowed it to thaw on the flight home. By the time we got home, it was thawed out and perfect for lunch.
Not bad for a quickie trip. I think i passed my Endo final on Monday. I didn't get much study time in because all i did in my free time was sleep. But I'm really glad I was able to go.
Overall, it was a really good wedding. The ceremony was short, very non-tradidtional. One of Emily's friends was the presider. People gave a couple of short readings from poets or authors, sang, and played the oboe. It was pretty cool how Emily's family and friends stepped up to perform at the ceremony. They had a live band, which made things very classy, with strings, piano, and i think a drum. The ceremony and the reception took place in the same location, which was a beautiful room with huge columns, windows, stringed lights everywhere. They had set up a little stage with a trellis covered with tulle and lights for David and Emily. They incorporated aspects of David's Jewish rituals into the ceremony too, with a Cantor, wine blessing, and glass breaking. After the ceremony, we were ushered out to a side room as they rearranged the tables and chairs for the reception. It was nice not having a lot of down time in between the ceremony and the reception. Also, they took pictures before the wedding, which tradition advises against, but it just worked out better logistically. It's not like their marriage is doomed before it starts, right?
Fortunately, the seating was such that I was able to sit with Christian because the only people at the "head table" were David and Emily. The food was amazing. Wonderful hors d'ourvers, open bar, strawberries and champagne, pumpkin ravioli in a walnut cream sauce, sorbet, and prime rib, and chocolate cake. yum. I liked the live band idea. They didn't have a slide show, but a board up in the front with pictures, and even pictures of David's parents' wedding. They did the polaroid picture guestbook, but you had to put the pictures into the little picture corners; i think i liked how Emma did it for hers, with the double-sided tape (yea, wedding minutae). Hehe, and again, Christian got out of dancing (we didn't even dance ONCE!) because he was too busy chatting it up with other people. I chatted with David's friends while all that was going on. No cake fight. After things cleared out, we hung out at the hotel bar for a while before everyone crashed. Got 1 hour of sleep before heading to the airport.
The ingenious thing that i did was that i got my prime rib boxed; the hotel we were staying at was an extended stay hotel, so they had a freezer. So i froze my dinner when i got back, and allowed it to thaw on the flight home. By the time we got home, it was thawed out and perfect for lunch.
Not bad for a quickie trip. I think i passed my Endo final on Monday. I didn't get much study time in because all i did in my free time was sleep. But I'm really glad I was able to go.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home