Where is My Mind?

3.18.2007

1 more block to go!

I can't believe 2nd year is almost done - 6 more weeks of formal class (GI, nutrition, and renal), and then it's 5-6 weeks of 9-6 studying for Step I (the big day - June 14, I may push it up if I start to get diminishing returns). If any of my upper med school friends are reading this, you will get an email soon soliciting advice. Let's see what's been going on...

My parents made an offer on a house and we're in escrow now. Probably moving sometime in mid-April or May, depending on how things are going for me and Christian in school.

Neurology and Psychiatry were good. We had small groups at the local mental health treatment center interview patients each week. I interviewed a quite psychotic patient who was sort of hearing voices but would sometimes come back and have a lucid period before decompensating again and telling her stepfather to shut up. My classmates all think I'm going into psychiatry. It's definitely on my list, but I did enjoy the neurology course too, and I think I did better in that course than Psych, given how the test was and how poorly I did on one of the mental status exercises. We'll see when the results come out this or next week....

Last Thursday was Match Day for the graduating 4th years. One guy I know that's going into Psych (i can only dream of aspiring to attain his goal) got into UCSF, his top choice (his other top choices were Hahh-vahd and Stahhn-fahd), another to UCSD, another girl going into Peds is going to UCSF too...wow! I can't wait till the whole list is published. It's so exciting finding out where everyone will be going and in what field for the next phase in their careers. The following day was Mirth Control, UCD SOM's annual satire of ourselves, other classes, and faculty/staff (and the faculty/staff get some punches of their own too). It was a lot of fun, a lot of laughs, and good skits from all the classes. One of my favorite quotes was from the first year class, with one person imitating one of our Deans. This particular dean teaches some neuroscience, but is also crucial for curriculum development, getting students into research, and the like. Anyway, the skit was about how the first years are so stressed out because of the new curriculum, and faculty are discussing how to recognize it and deal with it. There was a multiple choice question the "dean" put out to the faculty as to why they were so stressed physiologically, and the last choice was "An overactive P.N.S. interacting with the A.N.S". That's peripheral nervous system and autonomic nervous system, you perv.

Christian and I went to the bay area this weekend (it's been so long since we've been out of Sac!) to go to this dinner-dance thing. I got a scholarship, so I had to go to banquet to pick up my check. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be (I'm not the type who mingles easily and I was super worried about having to, you know, talk to people and stuff, especially after being in a hole studying for so long!) Thank goodness Christian came along. Afterwards, we stayed with my very pregnant cousin and her husband at their house in San Ramon and got to catch up with them since we last saw them, which was a loong time ago. We also watched The Departed, which was surprisingly very good. Twisted, but good.

As of now, I don't know when I'm going to be back to SoCal. I want to go to Glacier National Park after boards. That means come visit! We will have 2 (yeah, two!) guest rooms in the new house since we will probably have 1 desk in each room. So more room for you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home