So long, summer
6 week-blocks suck. They're so fast, they cram you with information, and finals are a week and a half long. Fortunately, we get a week and a half break. Only for this block though. No more breaks until Christmas, and then no spring break.
Overall, the block went by really fast. 6 classes in 6 weeks! And we get to do it all over again for the next block.
Also, Christian and I moved to Sacramento. With my parent's knowledge, mind you. They know it's serious because Christian dropped the "M" bomb on them the last time we were in LA. So living in sin is okay. We moved to a duplex in the Arden/Arcade area, a decent amount of space, our own garage and driveway, and a backyard! So all we have to do when our furry alarm clock whines at the ass-crack of dawn is open the back door and let her back in. My parents and my brother hooked us up by getting us a nice fridge, washer, and dryer at my brother's employee discount at Best Buy. He got like $200 off each appliance! AND we get rebates from the utility company for getting such energy efficient appliances, which we'll give to my parents once we get them back.
Christian's being such the handyman now. He fixed the screens on the windows so flies don't come in, some of the other window latches, and the vacuum, which overheated and melted part of the on/off pedal that made it work.
Yesterday, I studied at Starbucks with Elizabeth, Jaime, and other classmates who were around. They apparently have gone there every day for the past week and a half, and have gotten to know the workers there pretty well. They're like bartenders! They gave us free samples, hooked us up with really good drinks (and full sized ones too!), and, after helping them round up their patio furniture, got us free food from their counter. SWEET. I was so wired last night, i coudln't finish the free drink I got. So i froze it, and had it during the test. It was yummy. And i had the sandwich for lunch today.
Classes were okay. I think my favorite was Dermatology because the faculty were so happy (even at 8am lectures), VERY knowledgable, and enthusiastic. I don't think I can do Derm, though (too competitive, some of the stuff that can get on your skin is pretty intense) But it was a very useful class! Pathology/Oncology was cool this quarter because they used this audience response system, similar to the "ask the audience" feature on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. But they asked path/onc related questions. It really kept us awake in the afternoons; beats listening to a lecture when you're on a food coma. Micro was tough, not only b/c the faculty can be confusing, but there are so many different bugs that can cause different things and have different characteristics that we had to know. It was nuts.
So what to do during break? Originally I wanted to go to Yosemite, but lack of advance planning has precluded that. Our dryer is also being delivered on Tuesday of next week, which gives me a week to bum around, really get settled in the new place, and chill. I have to resist the urge to go shopping at all the stores that are around me now. After Tuesday, Christian, Koko, and I will probably camp down the California Coast on the way to LA, spend the weekend there, and then head up on Sunday.
ah, the sweet bliss of being able to sleep in....
Overall, the block went by really fast. 6 classes in 6 weeks! And we get to do it all over again for the next block.
Also, Christian and I moved to Sacramento. With my parent's knowledge, mind you. They know it's serious because Christian dropped the "M" bomb on them the last time we were in LA. So living in sin is okay. We moved to a duplex in the Arden/Arcade area, a decent amount of space, our own garage and driveway, and a backyard! So all we have to do when our furry alarm clock whines at the ass-crack of dawn is open the back door and let her back in. My parents and my brother hooked us up by getting us a nice fridge, washer, and dryer at my brother's employee discount at Best Buy. He got like $200 off each appliance! AND we get rebates from the utility company for getting such energy efficient appliances, which we'll give to my parents once we get them back.
Christian's being such the handyman now. He fixed the screens on the windows so flies don't come in, some of the other window latches, and the vacuum, which overheated and melted part of the on/off pedal that made it work.
Yesterday, I studied at Starbucks with Elizabeth, Jaime, and other classmates who were around. They apparently have gone there every day for the past week and a half, and have gotten to know the workers there pretty well. They're like bartenders! They gave us free samples, hooked us up with really good drinks (and full sized ones too!), and, after helping them round up their patio furniture, got us free food from their counter. SWEET. I was so wired last night, i coudln't finish the free drink I got. So i froze it, and had it during the test. It was yummy. And i had the sandwich for lunch today.
Classes were okay. I think my favorite was Dermatology because the faculty were so happy (even at 8am lectures), VERY knowledgable, and enthusiastic. I don't think I can do Derm, though (too competitive, some of the stuff that can get on your skin is pretty intense) But it was a very useful class! Pathology/Oncology was cool this quarter because they used this audience response system, similar to the "ask the audience" feature on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. But they asked path/onc related questions. It really kept us awake in the afternoons; beats listening to a lecture when you're on a food coma. Micro was tough, not only b/c the faculty can be confusing, but there are so many different bugs that can cause different things and have different characteristics that we had to know. It was nuts.
So what to do during break? Originally I wanted to go to Yosemite, but lack of advance planning has precluded that. Our dryer is also being delivered on Tuesday of next week, which gives me a week to bum around, really get settled in the new place, and chill. I have to resist the urge to go shopping at all the stores that are around me now. After Tuesday, Christian, Koko, and I will probably camp down the California Coast on the way to LA, spend the weekend there, and then head up on Sunday.
ah, the sweet bliss of being able to sleep in....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home