Valentine's Day Fun
Tis been a good week. I passed my midterms! Even physiology, whod'a thunk?!
Sunday Christian and I went to Napa Valley to do some winetasting. Turns out it was a beautiful day in the upper 60s, so we took a more scenic route to napa instead of the interstate, and drove around to 2 wineries, 1 in Yountville and 1 in St. Helena. The valley is really pretty because the bordering mountains are visible from the main road, and you pass through vineyard after vineyard and quaint town after quaint town. Downtown Yountville had odd street signs that were more street posts, if anything. So it was difficult to navigate through town and we missed a couple of turns, but didnt' get lost, thank goodness.
We went to Goosecross Cellars in Yountville because we had a free wine tasting coupon from a website. Most of the wineries here charge between $5 and $20 to do a tasting =P. We enjoyed it a lot, and there was a small crowd there. Turns out, a lot of people were touring the wineries that weekend because of Valentine's Day. I guess it works. I hadn't really thought about Valentine's Day because I was so worried about midterms. Christian thinks that the person handling the tasting really makes or breaks the wine tasting experience. The woman who was working the bar was really cool to us, and we joined the little Goosecross wine club after the tasting - i guess i'm not a big fan of reds as i thought i was, i'm more a fan of the sweet blushes and the sweet white wines. The ones i really liked were their cheapest wines, which was good. So we got 6 bottles from there, with the intent of hanging on to a couple for at least a couple of years, after which they'll hopefully taste even better than they did that day. The woman also let us have some homemade chocolate that another place had given them, it was dark chocolate with cherries in them, it was really good, i wish we could've snagged more!
We then went to V. Sattui Winery because they also gave free tastings. This was a larger operation than Goosecross - they had a larger tasting area, complete with picnic area AND deli (which is apparently a rarity now in Napa). The first guy that was serving us wasn't that great, he was itching to get out of there, as it was the end of the day, but the guy that replaced him was really cool. He was the head PR guy and he and Christian talked a lot during the course of the tasting, and even let him taste some other things that wasn't on the tasting list. I bought a couple more bottles from there (their Rouge was yummy, as was their dessert Muscat) and we headed back to Napa for dinner. I was WASTED. Well, not really. But the wine from the afternoon had finally gotten to me, and all throughout dinner I felt REALLY tipsy. A short nap later during the ride home and I was fine.
So that was a lot of fun :) I'm thinking of doing a similar thing for my birthday. Anyone who's free that weekend is welcome to come up, stay at our apartment, and head down there with us :)....Hopefully it's not during midterms spring quarter! (It probably is)
Yesterday was pretty low key. Class at 8, got out early because there isn't too much detail to learn about the musculoskeletal exam, and got out of physio lab early, around 2. No one was home when I arrived, but Christian arrived shortly thereafter with some flowers and a little gift and a card. Which he didn't have to do! I'm just happy he's here :) But he doesn't believe me when I say that, he predicts that I would've been angry if he hadn't gotten me flowers et al. I dunno. I'm not too into the whole commercialization of the day, unlike most of american women who HAVE to HAVE something on THIS ONE day. I mean, every day should be special! But we don't need flowers every day. I also think that women get into this mentality because *other* women get gifts and the whole dilly-yo and they feel jealous and transfer these feelings to their boyfriends. They're so needy for attention. I dunno. I guess it depends on the person and what she values in the relationship. Honestly, I really would not have minded if he didnt' get me anything.
We spent the evening at Ishai's, Amir's, and Richard's house for a little class potluck. I went the cheap route and didn't want to eat out, but spend time with classmates and give Christian the opportunity to meet more of them. It was a lot of fun (I think we were the only couple there, come to think of it), and there was a lot of good food.
And now, back to work. Don't want to slack off knowing that I passed my midterms, I need to keep this momentum going!
Sunday Christian and I went to Napa Valley to do some winetasting. Turns out it was a beautiful day in the upper 60s, so we took a more scenic route to napa instead of the interstate, and drove around to 2 wineries, 1 in Yountville and 1 in St. Helena. The valley is really pretty because the bordering mountains are visible from the main road, and you pass through vineyard after vineyard and quaint town after quaint town. Downtown Yountville had odd street signs that were more street posts, if anything. So it was difficult to navigate through town and we missed a couple of turns, but didnt' get lost, thank goodness.
We went to Goosecross Cellars in Yountville because we had a free wine tasting coupon from a website. Most of the wineries here charge between $5 and $20 to do a tasting =P. We enjoyed it a lot, and there was a small crowd there. Turns out, a lot of people were touring the wineries that weekend because of Valentine's Day. I guess it works. I hadn't really thought about Valentine's Day because I was so worried about midterms. Christian thinks that the person handling the tasting really makes or breaks the wine tasting experience. The woman who was working the bar was really cool to us, and we joined the little Goosecross wine club after the tasting - i guess i'm not a big fan of reds as i thought i was, i'm more a fan of the sweet blushes and the sweet white wines. The ones i really liked were their cheapest wines, which was good. So we got 6 bottles from there, with the intent of hanging on to a couple for at least a couple of years, after which they'll hopefully taste even better than they did that day. The woman also let us have some homemade chocolate that another place had given them, it was dark chocolate with cherries in them, it was really good, i wish we could've snagged more!
We then went to V. Sattui Winery because they also gave free tastings. This was a larger operation than Goosecross - they had a larger tasting area, complete with picnic area AND deli (which is apparently a rarity now in Napa). The first guy that was serving us wasn't that great, he was itching to get out of there, as it was the end of the day, but the guy that replaced him was really cool. He was the head PR guy and he and Christian talked a lot during the course of the tasting, and even let him taste some other things that wasn't on the tasting list. I bought a couple more bottles from there (their Rouge was yummy, as was their dessert Muscat) and we headed back to Napa for dinner. I was WASTED. Well, not really. But the wine from the afternoon had finally gotten to me, and all throughout dinner I felt REALLY tipsy. A short nap later during the ride home and I was fine.
So that was a lot of fun :) I'm thinking of doing a similar thing for my birthday. Anyone who's free that weekend is welcome to come up, stay at our apartment, and head down there with us :)....Hopefully it's not during midterms spring quarter! (It probably is)
Yesterday was pretty low key. Class at 8, got out early because there isn't too much detail to learn about the musculoskeletal exam, and got out of physio lab early, around 2. No one was home when I arrived, but Christian arrived shortly thereafter with some flowers and a little gift and a card. Which he didn't have to do! I'm just happy he's here :) But he doesn't believe me when I say that, he predicts that I would've been angry if he hadn't gotten me flowers et al. I dunno. I'm not too into the whole commercialization of the day, unlike most of american women who HAVE to HAVE something on THIS ONE day. I mean, every day should be special! But we don't need flowers every day. I also think that women get into this mentality because *other* women get gifts and the whole dilly-yo and they feel jealous and transfer these feelings to their boyfriends. They're so needy for attention. I dunno. I guess it depends on the person and what she values in the relationship. Honestly, I really would not have minded if he didnt' get me anything.
We spent the evening at Ishai's, Amir's, and Richard's house for a little class potluck. I went the cheap route and didn't want to eat out, but spend time with classmates and give Christian the opportunity to meet more of them. It was a lot of fun (I think we were the only couple there, come to think of it), and there was a lot of good food.
And now, back to work. Don't want to slack off knowing that I passed my midterms, I need to keep this momentum going!

1 Comments:
mmm wine tasting
By
Albert, at 6:21 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home