Where is My Mind?

11.21.2004

A more insightful update

RVB is in town = there goes my (and Christian's) weekend. How dare he take my boyfriend hostage and make him work over the weekend without ANY prior notice. Hopefully this will be his last weekend here, the paper will get published, and no more!

So, I haven't really given any meaty updates in a while. Life's been pretty busy and I have a crapload of things to do. I'm getting nervous about my interviews - they're next week! First off, i'm kicking myself for not getting plane tickets to Rochester earlier (when they were $100 round trip, direct from Dulles) and now they are $140 with crappy times. So i'm gonna have to try the NYC route: Go to Stony Brook, stay in NYC over the weekend, and take a one way to Rochester from JFK on Sunday and then a one way back to DC the next day. First I need to find a place to stay = Allan's godparents, whom I will call once I finish this. Hopefully all works well. Otherwise, I'm screwed. (Well, technically not, but my wallet will hurt more). Plus, I have to review all these bioethics things and think about how I will respond to such issues. I know i can do okay on interviews because I did a decent job at Mt. Sinai last year for their PREP program, so hopefully I can come across as a thoughtful, hardworking potential med student.

I need to get this stupid undercoat thing done to my car so the bottom doesn't rust from salt and snow this winter. I finally found a place that will clean the bottom of my car and hopefully the Honda dealer in Bethesda can do the undercoat this week.

I've gone back to scanning more subjects to get more data. I think, out of the 9 people we've scanned, 3 are good to add to the group. 3 moved so much (nodding motions, even in between runs, which SUCKS), 1 had a panic attack/got claustrophobic, and the rest i have to tinker with to make the concatenated run more homogeneous. It is SO IMPORTANT not to move AT ALL during the ENTIRE THING. So with more data, I can have a better picture of what is going on and have a better abstract for the Human Brain Mapping conference, which I'm doubtful i can go to since Toronto is considered "international." (Stupid Bush. Let me have my educational experiences necessary to have a better future!)

Christian turned 26 last week. eeew. (j/k. hee hee). I treated him to Miss Saigon, which he enjoyed but didnt' realize how tragically it would end. I find myself more critical of productions the more times i see it. Well, first thing i noticed was that the staging was a little different from previous productions, the lyrics were changed (not terribly, but someone like me who has the soundtrack memorized noticed it), and they took out some as well. (One of the more obvious was when Kim meets Ellen in the hotel room, they took out the part when Ellen and Kim exchange, "Of course we'll help/ Please keep your pity/ It's not a gift, it is our duty" I think they were trying to be a little more PC with how America is trying to "do their duty" by "helping" other countries (ahem, ahem, sound familiar???) Seeing how this whole Iraq war is being compared to Vietnam, I guess it's understandable. One other thing i thought was new was during the whole "Ho Chi Minh" dancing scene they had a big "fight" between the Communist dragon and the American democratic tiger.

On Christian's actual birthday, we were walking to the metro to work, and I successfully duped him into thinking i wanted to go ahead (and he was going slow because he is a poor crippled gimp). Instead, i walked past the metro (past his view) and went to my car, and got a cake and card for us IRTAs to sign. He was truly surprised, and the cake was good :) That night we went on a date, which we hand't done in a while: dinner and a movie. We ate at The Green Papaya in Bethesda, a Vietnamese restaurant in the downtown area. The food was pretty good, and the atmosphere was really nice. very green :). We then chilled at Barnes & Noble for a while before seeing I Heart Huckabees. That's a good movie too :) All in all, he enjoyed his birthday a lot.

Today was my 2nd day volunteering at the NIH Children's Inn. I'm getting the hang of working the front desk all right, and I'm enjoying being a friendly face to the people checking in.

My memory has finally started to fail. I remember that a lot of people have November birthdays, but I forget who has when. So, if you are reading this, please go to my birthday alarm page and fill it out so I remember yours.

I'm excited for this coming week, I haven't been home home since June! And i realized that Christian and my 6 month-iversary is on thanksgiving, and our 7 months is on christmas! (a little oversight we missed when designating the 25th, but ohwell)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home