Where is My Mind?

8.18.2005

Home Alone

I....need to get a life. Christian is driving down towards Atlanta to visit some friends for the weekend and I....am alone in is apartment, blogging. I was going to go shopping today but watched a DVD instead, a little too early in my opinion, and now it's 9, the stores are closed, and I'm....here. I guess I could pack some more, but laziness is rearing its ugly head. Not sure if this is some self-induced depression, I know I have stuff do to, but no motivation to do it...maybe some sort of attachment disorder that arises when a loved one is absent? At least initially. Just get over the hump, and things'll be okay.

Work, on the other hand, was surprisingly productive today. It was due, since I'd been slacking off, taking 1/2 days earlier this week to accomodate my parents during their brief stay here to help me pack. They hadn't visited me since helping me move in, and I'm ever so grateful for their help in packing up and taking away some of the crap that I've accumulated over the past 2 years. I took them to the Bethesda Crab House for some really flavorful crabs, it was really hot over the weekend, and my parents met Christian's parents for the first time on Sunday. We all had dinner at the Tower Oaks Lodge in Rockville, and things couldn't've gone more pleasantly than it had. Christian and I were really pleased at how things went. Monday we had dinner with their HS friends and saw their humongous mansion in Great Falls, and Tuesday I took them to the Udvar-Hazy Dulles Air/Space Museum to see the planes and space shuttle and other things they had in there. It was pretty cool; the space hangar hadn't opened the last time I visited. Christian joined us for dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant in Bethesda, since my mom wasn't feeling like Indian food.

Wednesday was quite eventful. I brought Christian down to an eye center for his LASIK surgery. I was able to watch it from a window placed in the door. It was pretty interesting (this is the scientist in me talking). He had IntraLase done, which uses a laser to make the corneal flap; he said he didn't really feel anything during that procedure. Then they moved him to the other laser machine and did the LASIK procedure. The laser sounds similar to the other lasers I've encountered at the dermatologist's office, and afterwards, he could see pretty clearly. Ooh, I'm so jealous. He went in for an appointment this afternoon and his left eye is at 20/20, his right at 20/30 and will probably improve over the next week or so.

The problem with my parents (my mom, moreso) is that they focus on things negative. When i proposed this idea to them for my birthday, all they could cite were friends who had the procedure done and hadn't worked. Mind you, it probably was years ago before they had any of the kinks ironed out, and any new technology to make it more efficient and less of a hassle. 10 years ago i said i'd get laser surgery. I still plan on getting it done sooner or later, if my insurance will carry most of the bill. But since that's not happening, I have an eye appointment to get new contacts on Saturday =P.

I can't believe I have 2 weeks left to go. Still lots more work to get done, but things are winding down. I managed to get an extra Apple display so my laptop is running on dual screens (makes it nice when running AFNI and other programs at the same time), even though it's not for a long period of time.

Maybe I can hang out with Erin tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home