Decisions, decisions
I turned 2 dozen years old last week (thanks to my boss for letting me know.)
I'm slowly phasing out the "Endless Birthday." I decided to just have 2 dinners this week, one with Christian and the other with friends + Christian. 2 free dinners for me! Christian and I went to The Green Papaya in Bethesda that Friday; it's a really nice, inexpensive Vietnamese restaurant downtown. They have a really nice atmosphere, cool decorations, and good food. One funny thing was there was a group of older men at the table next to us, celebrating someone's birthday too, and whenever we could overhear their conversations, it was all about Viagra, Cialis, etc, and they were joking with their waiter about how he wanted some youth for his birthday present....youth as in a young woman! Silly old men. I bet their wives were happy to be rid of them for an evening, hehe.
The next day was very relaxing, i spent most of it getting pampered like the princess that i am =P hee hee. Actually, I spent most of it reading The Subtle Knife, which i finished before the next dinner party. (Highly recommended, the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. I'm about 1/3 of the way through The Amber Spyglass). We met up with Erin, Jeff, Cory, Emmett, and Scotty at Lebanese Taverna in Woodley Park and had an excellent dinner there as well. Living in DC has exposed me to lots of different cultural/ethnic cuisines that I really enjoy, Lebanese food being one of them. I'll be really sad to leave in August.
Post dinner, we hung out at Cory's apartment, where they surprised me with cake! I thought were just having post-dinner wine. All in all, a good time :) Thanks for all the well wishes and cards and stuff, everybody!
So the title of my post is in regards to the big MAY 15 deadline to choose a medical school. I only have 2 choices at this point: NYMC and SUNY Stony Brook. Waitlisted everywhere else. So I'm probably gonna choose Stonybrook because I believe it's a better program - smaller class, H/P/F grading, Hx/Px training 1st year, research opps with Cold Spring Harbor/Brookhaven Labs, opportunities for MD with Recogntion, in-state tuition for the last 3 years. Unfortunately, they don't give out their financial aid packages until June. NYMC, on the other hand, has good prep for the USMLE Step 1 (standardized board test), facitilies are pretty good, it's CA-student friendly, seniors match well in CA, closer to NYC than Stonybrook. They also *just* gave me a $20K scholarship (10K scholarship, 10K low-interest loan). Unfortunately, i don't think the money is enough to entice me to go there, given the high cost of tuition ($36K/year) and living in Westchester county (a very expensive county). If it was a little more, i would be in a bind. LI might be as pricey, but i think i can find cheaper housing. The people on SDN aren't very helpful for my situation. And most of them are having dilemmas on the level of "Harvard or Penn?!" or "UCLA or UCSD?!" not lowly (but still reputable) schools like I am.
I am also BANKING on the fact that I will get off the waitlist at UCI, UCD, or Pitt. If that doesn't happen, that's gonna suck. But i'll be happy in Long Island. Iced teas for everyone!
I'm slowly phasing out the "Endless Birthday." I decided to just have 2 dinners this week, one with Christian and the other with friends + Christian. 2 free dinners for me! Christian and I went to The Green Papaya in Bethesda that Friday; it's a really nice, inexpensive Vietnamese restaurant downtown. They have a really nice atmosphere, cool decorations, and good food. One funny thing was there was a group of older men at the table next to us, celebrating someone's birthday too, and whenever we could overhear their conversations, it was all about Viagra, Cialis, etc, and they were joking with their waiter about how he wanted some youth for his birthday present....youth as in a young woman! Silly old men. I bet their wives were happy to be rid of them for an evening, hehe.
The next day was very relaxing, i spent most of it getting pampered like the princess that i am =P hee hee. Actually, I spent most of it reading The Subtle Knife, which i finished before the next dinner party. (Highly recommended, the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. I'm about 1/3 of the way through The Amber Spyglass). We met up with Erin, Jeff, Cory, Emmett, and Scotty at Lebanese Taverna in Woodley Park and had an excellent dinner there as well. Living in DC has exposed me to lots of different cultural/ethnic cuisines that I really enjoy, Lebanese food being one of them. I'll be really sad to leave in August.
Post dinner, we hung out at Cory's apartment, where they surprised me with cake! I thought were just having post-dinner wine. All in all, a good time :) Thanks for all the well wishes and cards and stuff, everybody!
So the title of my post is in regards to the big MAY 15 deadline to choose a medical school. I only have 2 choices at this point: NYMC and SUNY Stony Brook. Waitlisted everywhere else. So I'm probably gonna choose Stonybrook because I believe it's a better program - smaller class, H/P/F grading, Hx/Px training 1st year, research opps with Cold Spring Harbor/Brookhaven Labs, opportunities for MD with Recogntion, in-state tuition for the last 3 years. Unfortunately, they don't give out their financial aid packages until June. NYMC, on the other hand, has good prep for the USMLE Step 1 (standardized board test), facitilies are pretty good, it's CA-student friendly, seniors match well in CA, closer to NYC than Stonybrook. They also *just* gave me a $20K scholarship (10K scholarship, 10K low-interest loan). Unfortunately, i don't think the money is enough to entice me to go there, given the high cost of tuition ($36K/year) and living in Westchester county (a very expensive county). If it was a little more, i would be in a bind. LI might be as pricey, but i think i can find cheaper housing. The people on SDN aren't very helpful for my situation. And most of them are having dilemmas on the level of "Harvard or Penn?!" or "UCLA or UCSD?!" not lowly (but still reputable) schools like I am.
I am also BANKING on the fact that I will get off the waitlist at UCI, UCD, or Pitt. If that doesn't happen, that's gonna suck. But i'll be happy in Long Island. Iced teas for everyone!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home