Holy Cow
Somehow, at the last adcom meeting for potential interviewees, Davis let me have an interview! With a weeks' notice to fly out there! (that last bit was sarcasm.) yay. Unfortunately, now that I think about it, my return flight may be on the wrong day (12:15 am thursday instead of friday), so i have to change it =P i hate red-eye flights. HATE THEM.
I got U2 tickets for their Pittsburgh concert in October! They're sort of behind the stage (I presume they want to sell as many tickets as possible!), but hopefully it'll still be a good time. (AND they were cheaper than the DC tickets).
Christian's a funny guy. He likes messing with people. Case in point: he recently got a new credit card that enrolled him in some credit protection program that he didn't want to join. So when he called them to cancel, they tried to keep him in the program by sending him rebates. He received them yesterday, only to find that there was fine print they didn't divulge - the rebates were only valid for certain months (he thought it would be $50 at one time, but it was actually 5 $10 rebates each valid for only one month of the year (one was for april, another for may, etc)). So, realizing he'd been duped, called them again to cancel. The guy on the other line was trying all he could to keep him in the program, and said, "well, what if you lose your job?"
Now comes the humor. Christian replies to him, "well, I recently won the lottery, so my financial advisor said the program wouldn't be in my best interest." AND THE GUY BOUGHT IT. I couldn't hold it, I started laughing, and he had to go to another room to keep the conversation going. Meanwhile, I put my hands to my ears and hummed while he kept talking because I didn't want to hear it while he was still on the line - it'd be too much. So after he got off the phone, finally cancelling the plan, he said he could hear it in the guy's voice that he totally bought it. He talked about how his "financial advisor," a economics buddy from college, told him it wouldn't be worth it. He'd be getting $60K a year for 15 years, going to Jamaica, etc. The phone guy asked him which game he played, and he said it was one of those ball games, not the powerball though. And the guy on the line mused about how he'd play the powerball every once in a while. blah blah blah, more chit chat, and he got the plan cancelled.
I don't have the audacity to do something like that. But it makes for a good story :)
I got U2 tickets for their Pittsburgh concert in October! They're sort of behind the stage (I presume they want to sell as many tickets as possible!), but hopefully it'll still be a good time. (AND they were cheaper than the DC tickets).
Christian's a funny guy. He likes messing with people. Case in point: he recently got a new credit card that enrolled him in some credit protection program that he didn't want to join. So when he called them to cancel, they tried to keep him in the program by sending him rebates. He received them yesterday, only to find that there was fine print they didn't divulge - the rebates were only valid for certain months (he thought it would be $50 at one time, but it was actually 5 $10 rebates each valid for only one month of the year (one was for april, another for may, etc)). So, realizing he'd been duped, called them again to cancel. The guy on the other line was trying all he could to keep him in the program, and said, "well, what if you lose your job?"
Now comes the humor. Christian replies to him, "well, I recently won the lottery, so my financial advisor said the program wouldn't be in my best interest." AND THE GUY BOUGHT IT. I couldn't hold it, I started laughing, and he had to go to another room to keep the conversation going. Meanwhile, I put my hands to my ears and hummed while he kept talking because I didn't want to hear it while he was still on the line - it'd be too much. So after he got off the phone, finally cancelling the plan, he said he could hear it in the guy's voice that he totally bought it. He talked about how his "financial advisor," a economics buddy from college, told him it wouldn't be worth it. He'd be getting $60K a year for 15 years, going to Jamaica, etc. The phone guy asked him which game he played, and he said it was one of those ball games, not the powerball though. And the guy on the line mused about how he'd play the powerball every once in a while. blah blah blah, more chit chat, and he got the plan cancelled.
I don't have the audacity to do something like that. But it makes for a good story :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home