Where is My Mind?

4.26.2005

Queen of the Q

Aside from the emminent (or lost) pre-interview rejection letter from Mt. Sinai, I have officially heard from all of the schools to which I applied (unofficially from one, but i know that's a waitlist). The grand total? 20 or so applications, 10-12 interviews, 1 post-interview rejection, 8-10 waitlists, and 2 acceptances. I don't even want to *fathom* how much I spent on this process. And the thing that sucks is, I won't know where I'll *really* be going unti say, June or July. That is one thing i dislike about the med school application process. I do like the idea of secondaries and interviews because you have the opportunity to really let the admissions committee know who you are, and you're not just a number or GPA or MCAT score on paper. I do wish, however, that med school admissions worked like the residency match system, where the entire season is confined within a few months, it's not rolling, and you know where you're going by a set date. Unfortunately, there are way more people that want to be doctors than pretty-much doctors waiting to become residents in a certain specialty, so it would be difficult to switch the system as such. It's a bummer, then i wouldn't be racking my brain from May 16th through August.

One thing i really am pissed about is how my Hoag letter held me back from being an earlier applicant and dealing with east coast-west coast mail. GRRRR.

Anywho, more purgatory for me. My birthday is coming up (early-mid twenties, eewww!!!). I want to do some sort of get-together, perhaps a wine & cheese potluck. I really wanted to go to Disney World, but that's not happening. Kento is having a wine/cheese party this friday; I will snag ideas from that as to how to throw mine.

My weekend in Chicago awhile back was a lot of fun. It was great to hang out with Steff and meet her classmates. That saturday, we went to the Art Institute and i got to see some of its famous works, pictures of which are in my flickr album. I'm thinking about getting a premium account there to really organize things, as a free user i can only make 3 album sets (unless i can get a hold of nicola and she hasn't given hers away....) Anyway, after the AIC we took a loooong subway and bus ride down south to the Museum of Science & Industry, where the Body Worlds exhibit was. We passed through the neighborhood of U Chicago; kinda ghetto. not the best neighborhod, compared to how nice steff's is up in Evanston. I kinda want to go back to the MSI, they have a U-boat exhibit similar to the Dulles Hangar that will be reopening later this year. We then took a quicker bus ride back up to downtown Chicago, and stopped at the Hancock building. We wanted to go to the observatory deck, but ended up at the bar instead, which worked out fine, because we still had a real nice view, 95 floors up, and we were indoors. I think the cost of our drinks paid for the view. We sat next to this guy that Steff and I talked to for a bit, and he exchanged numbers with steff to "hang out" whenever he's in town on business. he wasn't shady or anything, very...jovial. Anyway, it was a good time.

The next day we walked around the Northwestern campus by Lake Michigan. The hyacinths all over the campus smelled beautiful. Dogs on the beach - so fun! i should put up the videos on scott's server. they were jumping and paddling in the water trying to fetch things. It was a beautiful day too, in the mid 70s!

Getting back to work has been rough, after the hustle of CNS and my interviews. Pat has also been out, taking care of his sick kiddies. Soooo it's been kinda slow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home