Kate Raymundo, 1981-2005
So the bad news was that my cousin Kate had died in a car accident the night of the 21st. She was with Julio on the 15 going to Vegas. She briefly wasn't wearing her seat belt (so the story goes) when the car, going about 80 (so the story goes) went into the median (sand, etc), and when they tried to go back on the road, overcorrected the turn, and it rolled over and she was ejected and immediately killed. death by blunt trauma to the body.
Fortunately, Christian was with me when my mom broke the news, and spent the entire weekend with me. I still can't believe it. She was at a real high point in her life: 4 months shy of getting her teaching credential, ready to move on to the next phase of her life with Julio; she'd told me during Christmas that she was thinking about teaching in the Valencia district. She worked as a teacher's aide at her old elementary school, and the kids loved her so much. The school held a memorial service for her, and the kids wrote letters and drew pictures to give to her family; it was very touching to see them during her viewing. It's just so sad...nothing but the rest of her life ahead of her, and she's taken away just like that. She was the last person I expected to lose; she was the closest thing I had to a sister, being only 5 months older than me. I always referred to her as "the pretty one" or "the cool one" because she was always so beautiful, inside and out. she loved life and meeting people, and was on her way to really making a difference in the world.
I was a pretty worthless employee all last week before I left to go back home. I couldn't believe that my mom suggested I don't come, just to stay here and pray for her. That pissed me off so much. I couldn't even yell at her properly, I was that shocked.
What's even sadder, my dad told me after he picked me up from the airport, was that (the story goes) she and Julio were going to Vegas to get married.
The viewing service on Thursday was very touching. Turns out it was open casket, the morticians were able to do a decent job on her face. (it was thought that her face was so damaged it might have been a closed casket for the public viewing, and family would be able to see her only if they signed a waiver knowing what they were getting into) it looked like her, pretty much, and it was very strange going into the viewing room all by myself after most of the other family members had seen. i didn't even get to tell her i got into medical school. Everyone in the family was shocked and teary-eyed. Artie, fortunately, was back in SF and not somewhere in South America, so he was able to attend. The last time he saw her was at Emma's wedding. Emma and Alf were in town briefly; they had a wedding to go to that weekend. It was good to see them, and I know they wanted to stay longer.
Kate's best friends chose a really nice outfit for her, a green blouse, khakis, and a green scarf, and her green brooch that she always wore (she loved green.) They'd also made collages of many pictures of her with them, with family, etc, and a former coworker made a DVD slideshow with music that was looped on a TV in the chapel of the mortuary. Mae made a really nice one that had "in loving memory of Kate" where "kate" was filled with different family pictures. Some of her students came to the viewing with their parents, they'd made the decision to come and say goodbye to someone they really loved. It was very touching. At the evening rosary, the chapel was PACKED. it was amazing to see how many people came, but I wasn't surprised. She was so popular and loved meeting people, she had a great personality that people were drawn towards. One of the people I met was her old dance teacher from high school, who found out about her at Sav-On, where 2 people in front of her were blowing up a picture, talking about a teacher that had died, and when she saw the picture of Kate, couldn't believe it was her.
One moment that got to me was when her best friends finally saw her body in the chapel. It was very emotional and I saw my aunt crying as well, so i went over to comfort her as her friends vocalized their sadness about what happened. They wrote letters and placed them in the casket, and her dad did as well. I feel so bad for my uncle. Everyone had high hopes for her, none more than him. But he was glad she finished college.
It's just so shocking to have 2 family deaths in 1 year. My grandfather I was kinda ready for, because we knew he was on his way, but this was just out of left field, totally, totally unexpected
The funeral was very cathartic. It was sad, yes, and I had my share of crying, along with the mass of sad friends and family. Someone us youngin's don't think about is death. My dad donated a plot at Forest Lawn for her, because who our age, healthy, plans for these things? It's not in the same one where my grandfather is, but the same company. So we said goodbye, and watched her casket lower into the ground and get covered up with dirt.
Saturday, after all the events had come to pass, I spent time with friends I hadn't spent a lot of time with. It was good hanging out and I'm glad they were around that day.
Today I got an email from a former co-worker of Kate's, who'd found out about her when I forwarded the schedule to people on an old email forward she'd sent me. It was very touching to hear from her and sad because it reminded me again that she's not with us anymore.
So, lesson to be learned, don't speed on roads, and wear your seat belts.
On another note, I got waitlisted at Rochester =P. Georgetown interview went okay, I believe. Hopefully I hear good news from them. I hope I hear from UCI and USC soon, it's been about a month.
Fortunately, Christian was with me when my mom broke the news, and spent the entire weekend with me. I still can't believe it. She was at a real high point in her life: 4 months shy of getting her teaching credential, ready to move on to the next phase of her life with Julio; she'd told me during Christmas that she was thinking about teaching in the Valencia district. She worked as a teacher's aide at her old elementary school, and the kids loved her so much. The school held a memorial service for her, and the kids wrote letters and drew pictures to give to her family; it was very touching to see them during her viewing. It's just so sad...nothing but the rest of her life ahead of her, and she's taken away just like that. She was the last person I expected to lose; she was the closest thing I had to a sister, being only 5 months older than me. I always referred to her as "the pretty one" or "the cool one" because she was always so beautiful, inside and out. she loved life and meeting people, and was on her way to really making a difference in the world.
I was a pretty worthless employee all last week before I left to go back home. I couldn't believe that my mom suggested I don't come, just to stay here and pray for her. That pissed me off so much. I couldn't even yell at her properly, I was that shocked.
What's even sadder, my dad told me after he picked me up from the airport, was that (the story goes) she and Julio were going to Vegas to get married.
The viewing service on Thursday was very touching. Turns out it was open casket, the morticians were able to do a decent job on her face. (it was thought that her face was so damaged it might have been a closed casket for the public viewing, and family would be able to see her only if they signed a waiver knowing what they were getting into) it looked like her, pretty much, and it was very strange going into the viewing room all by myself after most of the other family members had seen. i didn't even get to tell her i got into medical school. Everyone in the family was shocked and teary-eyed. Artie, fortunately, was back in SF and not somewhere in South America, so he was able to attend. The last time he saw her was at Emma's wedding. Emma and Alf were in town briefly; they had a wedding to go to that weekend. It was good to see them, and I know they wanted to stay longer.
Kate's best friends chose a really nice outfit for her, a green blouse, khakis, and a green scarf, and her green brooch that she always wore (she loved green.) They'd also made collages of many pictures of her with them, with family, etc, and a former coworker made a DVD slideshow with music that was looped on a TV in the chapel of the mortuary. Mae made a really nice one that had "in loving memory of Kate" where "kate" was filled with different family pictures. Some of her students came to the viewing with their parents, they'd made the decision to come and say goodbye to someone they really loved. It was very touching. At the evening rosary, the chapel was PACKED. it was amazing to see how many people came, but I wasn't surprised. She was so popular and loved meeting people, she had a great personality that people were drawn towards. One of the people I met was her old dance teacher from high school, who found out about her at Sav-On, where 2 people in front of her were blowing up a picture, talking about a teacher that had died, and when she saw the picture of Kate, couldn't believe it was her.
One moment that got to me was when her best friends finally saw her body in the chapel. It was very emotional and I saw my aunt crying as well, so i went over to comfort her as her friends vocalized their sadness about what happened. They wrote letters and placed them in the casket, and her dad did as well. I feel so bad for my uncle. Everyone had high hopes for her, none more than him. But he was glad she finished college.
It's just so shocking to have 2 family deaths in 1 year. My grandfather I was kinda ready for, because we knew he was on his way, but this was just out of left field, totally, totally unexpected
The funeral was very cathartic. It was sad, yes, and I had my share of crying, along with the mass of sad friends and family. Someone us youngin's don't think about is death. My dad donated a plot at Forest Lawn for her, because who our age, healthy, plans for these things? It's not in the same one where my grandfather is, but the same company. So we said goodbye, and watched her casket lower into the ground and get covered up with dirt.
Saturday, after all the events had come to pass, I spent time with friends I hadn't spent a lot of time with. It was good hanging out and I'm glad they were around that day.
Today I got an email from a former co-worker of Kate's, who'd found out about her when I forwarded the schedule to people on an old email forward she'd sent me. It was very touching to hear from her and sad because it reminded me again that she's not with us anymore.
So, lesson to be learned, don't speed on roads, and wear your seat belts.
On another note, I got waitlisted at Rochester =P. Georgetown interview went okay, I believe. Hopefully I hear good news from them. I hope I hear from UCI and USC soon, it's been about a month.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home