2 weeks into surgery
Back to the long hours....
I'm doing my first month at the VA, where the hours are not egregious compared to the med center. It's still long, starting at 6AM or before that, going 10-12 hours and repeating the next day. It's an overall good service - lots of general stuff and a smattering of cool thoracic and vascular cases. I'll be scrubbing in on a mastectomy next week too. VA patients are an interesting population. There are many a "hippie-type" who grew up as flower children in Haight-Ashbury in SF and are generally appreciative of what we do. Then there are the disgruntled who tend to want things their way. If one is able to reason with them fairly well, you can get them to understand why we're doing what we're doing.
I'm not sure if it's because we round so early in the morning, but it's sad to see sometimes how these guys have no friends/family who visit them while they're in the hospital.
The attendings are all pretty nice and really care about teaching. I haven't gotten properly pimped by them, really, (mainly by my resident, but it's all educational).
Next month is plastic surgery, which should be just as interesting. I'm getting overwhelmed by all the other stuff I have to do, such as meet with LOR writers, outline my personal statement, start ERAS, and get my application together to apply to Stanford for an away elective by the end of the month. And being on surgery, exhausted every day, crashing at 9:30 pm isn't helping. At least I have the weekend sort of off - I'll be able to sleep in tomorrow, at least. Then it's a Saturday night of trauma call in the ED.
I'm doing my first month at the VA, where the hours are not egregious compared to the med center. It's still long, starting at 6AM or before that, going 10-12 hours and repeating the next day. It's an overall good service - lots of general stuff and a smattering of cool thoracic and vascular cases. I'll be scrubbing in on a mastectomy next week too. VA patients are an interesting population. There are many a "hippie-type" who grew up as flower children in Haight-Ashbury in SF and are generally appreciative of what we do. Then there are the disgruntled who tend to want things their way. If one is able to reason with them fairly well, you can get them to understand why we're doing what we're doing.
I'm not sure if it's because we round so early in the morning, but it's sad to see sometimes how these guys have no friends/family who visit them while they're in the hospital.
The attendings are all pretty nice and really care about teaching. I haven't gotten properly pimped by them, really, (mainly by my resident, but it's all educational).
Next month is plastic surgery, which should be just as interesting. I'm getting overwhelmed by all the other stuff I have to do, such as meet with LOR writers, outline my personal statement, start ERAS, and get my application together to apply to Stanford for an away elective by the end of the month. And being on surgery, exhausted every day, crashing at 9:30 pm isn't helping. At least I have the weekend sort of off - I'll be able to sleep in tomorrow, at least. Then it's a Saturday night of trauma call in the ED.
Labels: surgery

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home