Where is My Mind?

5.09.2004

(Originally started on Tuesday, May 4, at Long Beach Airport).
Ah, a nice mini-vacation again comes to an end. The endless birthday is halfway over.

Friday and Saturday day were pretty chill in terms of events. I watched all the stuff that i had TiVo'd while i was gone. Unfortunately, a couple of Sex and the City episodes had only partially recorded (i.e. only done a minute or less), so that kinda sucks. But it'll be out on dvd sooner or later, no biggie. (I'm TiVO-ing the season finale of The OC and the series finale of Friends this week just for the hell of it. I would hope to do Six Feet Under, but i don't know how much space our TiVO can hold, so i dont know if it would be worth it.

Saturday afternoon i visited my grandparents in their nursing home. They're doing alright, relatively speaking...my grandfather's arthritis had gotten so bad that his big toe is permanently at an odd angle to his other toes, and so he's bedridden now with some oxygen support. After visiting them, there was a family dinner in Los Feliz. it was good to see everyone again. I finally got to see Cecille's new baby, Kaylee. She's 2 months old. Camille is such the big sister - i can totally see her bossing Kaylee around when they get older. She has no jealousy towards the baby whatsoever. After dinner, i went over to Scott's party.

I'm such the lame ass that arrives at parties pretty much on time. I've learned my lesson that i should arrive 30-60 minutes after the listed party start time, but apparently this time i should've arrived 120 minutes later. It was fine though, Scott, Jean and I watched some TV and played Operation (kinda) while waiting for others to arrive. Once the party really got started, it was a lot of fun. A good number of people that i knew came - Steff, Janet, Julia, Ki, John, and some others that i'd met at previous parties or in Vegas. I even got to see Greg again, and it's so strange how we see each other at functions that are unrelated to how we originally met, in the dorms. It was good chatting with everyone again, and i got home late. I had to sing in the car to keep myself awake, and i never usually do that.

Sunday was pretty chill, i went to the IHHS reunion. When i was parking on the field i parked next to Faheemah, whom i hadn't seen since graduation, pretty much. We went to the liturgy in the cafeteria, after climbing all those familiar stairs that tired us so much when we were younger. They weren't a problem for me this time. The view of the city from the cafeteria was pretty cool - it wasn't as clear as i'd seen it before (it was HOT and hazy), but i've missed views like that. After the liturgy, we met up with Kristen, Shana, Heather, Sara, and Sarah to catch up. We were surprised at the low turnout for our class, we'd expected some of the loud people to come, at least - i know some of them are in the area. i guess it was expected that not many usually show up for the 5 year, cuz most are just out of college or still in undergrad, or just started grad school. There was a program in the auditorium where they essentially asked us for money, without specifically saying "please give us money," but rather using different words and phrases to convey the same message. But they had made a panel of our class to include with the other history panels of the different classes, which was cool. I'm both jealous and sad that this year, the graduation is not at the Hollywood Bowl like usual, but at the Kodak Theatre on Hollywood & Highland (where the Academy Awards are held nowadays).

During lunch we all caught up some more, and shared more stories of other alumni with whom we've still kept in touch. After Mr. Dulugolecki (sp?) took our pictures, we headed our separate ways.

Monday was chock full of meetings with faculty at UCI. I got my earl-grey-milk-tea with mini-bobas on my way to meet with Dr. Striedter. It was good chatting with him again after not seeing him for a loooong time, and hopefully my experiment will be replicated with enough birds so it'll be published eventually. Marin and Amy, the new postdoc, took me out to lunch at Mother's Market - interesting veggie/vegan dishes. Had a frappucino with Lani, and we had a really good conversation about med school vs. grad school. Again, it was a REALLY HOT day. I was just walking around campus like a normal person, and i could *feel* myself getting darker (which was corroborated by Christian when he saw me after i got back. ugh!) Met with one of the bio counselors, who grilled me about med school and my positives about an applicant. i should get used to getting grilled; i was a little unprepapred for it, but i know she means well. then, visited the McGaugh lab chatted with Christa, Ryan, Dan, and Joe for about an hour. Christa and Ryan and I chatted about the upcoming cicada invasion, places i should visit during my time here, etc. Christa also showed me new pictures of Gabriel, her son, he's getting so big!

Then my day of meetings was finally over. I felt like such a professional or something, with all these meetings set up, meeting for coffee, lunch, etc. I visited the housing office and chatted with Bryan for a bit about how the reps are doing. I wish i was available to go on a tour or see training.

I had some time before dinner, so i hauled ass to Newport Beach and enjoy the ocean while i was in the area. It was sooooo much cooler there, at least 20 degrees cooler, with a nice breeze. the waves were pretty big, it may have been high tide too. quite a few surfers out. it was nice and relaxing.

Finally got to see my friends at Berkeley, i arrived there the same time as Amanda and David. We couldn't get in touch with Inah, so she unfortunately missed dinner. We got to BJ's in time for my reservation. Me, Tammy, Laura, Laura R, Kevin, Amanda, David, Ki, John, Steff, Abby, Julia, and Scott showed up :) I was very happy to see everyone. It was also the first time Amanda and Julia have seen each other since high school - they'd hung out vicariously through me, hehe.

SO. Here's the big story. I was still a little tipsy from my Mai Tai, so David, Amanda, and Laura decided to take off early to "get more alcohol" for the festivities at Berkeley. I chatted with the rest for a few more minutes and then we all took off. When we got back to Berkeley, I dropped Laura R and her brother off at her car cuz they were tired, and Tammy said we should pick up Inah. Okay. So we went to AV and waited for Inah. We finally got back and we're walking towards the stairs back up to the apartment, and i see that people are hanging out on the balcony. I thought it was a little weird, i though maybe Carla was in and having some sort of fit, i don't know. i approached the walkway to the stairs and BAM. SPLASH. wtf? water balloons all over the place - directed at me! i was so surprised, i was laughing so hard, and i was wet. it was all laura's idea, and i must say, i was very impressed. i had NO CLUE, and it was good cuz it was still pretty warm. We then had more drinks at berkeley, hung out some, opened presents, good times. People left, and i was too tired to drive home, so i spent the night on the sofabed. Dropped laura off at her class the next morning and said goodbye to the OC.

Tuesday, i just chilled at home, had a Tommy burger for lunch and chinese food for dinner. Watched Love Actually to kill time, and headed back here. Had major jet lag but couldn't sleep because i had a stats class to attend at NIH. I felt AWFUL all day, and Kara and Christian said i looked exhausted, so i left as soon as the class was over, which was around 4pm. I got home and slept till 1:30am.

Recap of the rest of the endless birthday later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home