Back on Track
At least trying to get back on it. After the horror of midterms (which I fortunately passed! I was under the class average on biochem, that's okay. I'm very satisfied with my anatomy performance), I had a glorious week with Christian in town. It was as if he'd never left. It was weird leaving him behind to go to class and all, but that's something we both have to get used to, now that we can't be spoiled like we used to back in Maryland where we spent (we calculated this) about 17-18 hours a day together, on average. Lots of quality time. We went to the arboretum and farmer's market on wednesday, he drove around while i was in class, and we cooked dinner and watched DVDs. It was great. I miss it already and I only dropped him off at the airport this morning.
To avoid the lonely self-induced depression that usually comes around after he leaves, I signed up for the Joan Viteri Clinic this afternoon. It was a pretty eye-opening experience. Their patient focus is IV drug users and sex workers, aiming for harm reduction and good training in compassion and non-judgmental-ness. I was very amazed at how the attending listened to the first patient we sort-of interviewed (very heavy issues came up), his pertinent questions, and his supportive comments. The patient came up to him before leaving to give him multiple hugs. The last patient of the day was showing signs of schizo-affective disorder or schizophrenia, and the attending commented about how soldiers coming back from war usually come back addicted to one or many drugs, and the VA does not take care of the issue long enough (only 1-2 treatments), only to have them relapse into a deeper addiction, which can send them to the streets, abandoned by the very government that sent them abroad to war in the first place. Think about now, with how cheap and abundant such drugs are in Iraq and Afghanistan, the number of surviving soldiers who will come home with psychological and substance problems, for a war that was based on a bunch of forged intelligence and documents. Bad, bad government. Granted, I haven't researched the other side of the issue, so that is an unbalanced opinion, but I've had my jadedness with the government as well, from another point of view.
To get more back on track, I'll be reviewing the content of lectures that sort of went over my head tomorrow before going to volleyball and TV night. Anatomy lab's getting more frustrating. We're on the neck. It's a pain - in the neck! (...oh, that was dorky.)
To avoid the lonely self-induced depression that usually comes around after he leaves, I signed up for the Joan Viteri Clinic this afternoon. It was a pretty eye-opening experience. Their patient focus is IV drug users and sex workers, aiming for harm reduction and good training in compassion and non-judgmental-ness. I was very amazed at how the attending listened to the first patient we sort-of interviewed (very heavy issues came up), his pertinent questions, and his supportive comments. The patient came up to him before leaving to give him multiple hugs. The last patient of the day was showing signs of schizo-affective disorder or schizophrenia, and the attending commented about how soldiers coming back from war usually come back addicted to one or many drugs, and the VA does not take care of the issue long enough (only 1-2 treatments), only to have them relapse into a deeper addiction, which can send them to the streets, abandoned by the very government that sent them abroad to war in the first place. Think about now, with how cheap and abundant such drugs are in Iraq and Afghanistan, the number of surviving soldiers who will come home with psychological and substance problems, for a war that was based on a bunch of forged intelligence and documents. Bad, bad government. Granted, I haven't researched the other side of the issue, so that is an unbalanced opinion, but I've had my jadedness with the government as well, from another point of view.
To get more back on track, I'll be reviewing the content of lectures that sort of went over my head tomorrow before going to volleyball and TV night. Anatomy lab's getting more frustrating. We're on the neck. It's a pain - in the neck! (...oh, that was dorky.)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home